I recently remembered that I had purchased a package of agar agar a while back in the hopes of using it for a cocktail. Agar Agar comes from algae and can be used as a vegetarian substitute for gelatin. I had been trying to think of a party cocktail and then it hit me, Jello Shots. Nothing says party like alcohol suspended in jello. Jello shots recreate the joy of eating jello as a kid but with the grownup bonus of liquor.
I stuck to the formula of 1 teaspoon agar agar powder for every 1 cup of liquid. The great thing about using agar is that you don’t have to wait long for the mixture to set. In fact, I accidently left some of my jello mixture in its pot. When I came back 20 minutes later it had already solidified. So make sure you pour your jello mix into it’s mold quickly after mixing.
I chose to make Candy Apple shots in hallowed apple molds. It was fun and simple to make.
Candy Apple Jello Shots
7 small red apples
1 cup Cranberry Juice
1/2 cup Vanilla Vodka
1/2 cup Apple Jack
2 teaspoons Agar Agar powder
1. Slice apples in half.
2. With a melon baller scoop out the center of the apple half leaving about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch of flesh all around.
3. In a medium size pot bring cranberry juice to a boil.
4. Reduce to heat to low.
5. Stir in agar agar until powder dissolves.
6. Remove from heat.
7. Stir in vodka and apple jack.
8. Carefully pour into apple molds.
9. Refrigerate for one hour.
10. Carefully cut into slices.
I'm a Baltimore gal that loves her home town almost as much as a good drink. A bit of a cocktail geek that loves the classics while experimenting with my own recipes. I'm home schooled and eager to learn more about the spirited world of cocktails.